About Us

Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Worship Leaders

  • Ministers- ALL the people of St. John’s
  • Bishop of the Diocese of Central Pennsylvania- The Rt. Rev. Dr. Nathan D. Baxter
  • Honorary Associates (Ret.) - The Rev. Dr. Ken Aldrich & The Rev. Macrum Elder
  • Senior Warden- Sandy Rudy
  • Junior Warden- Murray Africa
  • Organist - Carolyn Shope
  • Sexton - "Doc" Rudy

St. John’s has been a place of worship for over 164 years from its location across from the Court House in the community of Huntingdon, Pennsylvania.  It is a Eucharist-centered church, and all baptized persons are invited to receive Communion. We are a place of worship for everyone and take pride in welcoming people of all backgrounds. 

Our ministries, particularly our outreach, reflect over commitment as Christians.  We offer opportunities for parishioners of all ages to live out Jesus’ command to serve others. 

The people of St. John’s are unique!  We are doctors, professors, counselors, a judge, accountants, police, nurses and stay-at-home moms.  Some of us fix phone lines, work at the library or attend college.  We compost, weave, paint, cheer for Penn State and the Steelers, play soccer and love our pets.  Some enjoy the peace of retirement and some find themselves busier than ever with their volunteer work.  This is a talented congregation, with a balanced mix of youth, young families, single parents, older couples with grown children, and widowed persons.

A Bit of History

The first parishes in central Pennsylvania were established in the mid-18th Century. In 1774, the Rev. William Smith, founder of Huntingdon and a priest in the Church of England, baptized the first 80 Huntingdon Christians. This was the first service of this kind in Huntingdon County. By 1818, Huntingdon Episcopalians shared a building with Lutherans and Presbyterians. This building was later torn down and, in 1845 the congregation built the existing Gothic church on Penn Street. This building has remained virtually unchanged and is recognized for its architectural and historical integrity. Today it houses the church and sacristy upstairs, and a nursery, kitchen and fellowship hall in the undercroft. St. John's Parish also owns the adjoining property, The Episcopal House, where the church office and Christian education rooms are located.

St. John's has a congregation of approximately 120 members. Some represent generations of St. John's parishioners while others bring new life and character into the church family. Generations of small but faithful congregations have kept St. John's a solid, vital source of inspiration, comfort and support for its family and community for more than 164 years.